Wednesday, February 8, 2012

My {creative} Story ~ Part 1

[Day One]

Our first assignment from Kim was to write our own story creatively, well I've been sitting on this for almost a month now and I think I know where to start.  This is my story of how my creative journey started and the three women who played and still plays a very important part in my journey so far. 

This story begins with the letter 'K"...


I have used Flickr to share my photos publicly for a few years now, on and off.  About 19 months ago I came across Kathy's flickr stream, she was in the middle of her Project 365. Her images appealed to me in that they were soft and full of light.  I spent 2010 following her project, through her ups and downs, typical of someone going through the stress of having to get that shot in by the end of each and every 365 days.  She inspired me with her beautiful images, occasionally portraits and of course her amazing food photography shots.  I was so inspired by her that I decided to embark on my own journey through Project 365 in 2011, a decision that totally changed me, my view of photography and the direction I would take.  Thank you Kathy Marciante.




At around the same time I became Kathy's contact, I stumbled across Kim's website, where my journey into photo editing and texturising began.  I'm forever grateful to Kim for being such a generous person in giving and also in sharing her amazing amazing talent to allow me and I'm sure a lot of you to see our photos in a totally different light, to be able to see something amazing out of something quite simple or ordinary in things like wildflowers or what some people might call "weeds" by the roadside or even a simple cup of tea. My eyes have been opened like they have never been before.  Thank you Kim Klassen.




Lastly but not least, the third woman, she has played an integral part in my journey... her name is Karyn, she became my contact and dear friend 9 months ago.  She is such an amazing person, everytime she visits my photos her comments are not just comments, they are personal messages, the incredible thing is that's how she conveys her thoughts to every one of her contacts.  Her talent in conveying her beautiful images is enviable, her collages are something to be admired and she inspires me everytime I pop over to visit her stream.  Through the nine months we've known each other our photography has grown together.  We have a strange connection in that a couple of times we have uploaded the same subject in the image on the same day unknowingly, the last just yesterday.  Thank you Karyn Mitchell.




And my creative journey continues and so does this story...where it will lead to, I don't know yet, when will it end, I don't know yet...guess all I can say for now is stayed tuned, maybe at the end of these 52 weeks of Beyond Layers you will be able to read Part 2 of my story with an ending I am happy to write about.

Postscript ~ I have to mention there are many inspirational people whom I can call a contact and a friend that I have met during this journey, I will leave them unnamed in fear I will leave somebody out... if you would like to meet some of them just simply pop into my flickr stream and you will no doubt see them leaving awesome messages for me.

•    •    •

9 comments:

  1. What a beautiful tribute to these creative women! Your photos are wonderful...words and images blended perfectly together. btw--LOVE your watermark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Jessica...as I read your story I felt me eyes start to swell as well as my heart! I have never received such a heartfelt compliment in my life, from someone that I've never even met. To hear that I was a part of the inspiration that led you to your own journey is so touching. We often dream of making a difference in someone's life but never really think that we ever do. I remember after taking a year off visiting flickr and instantly being drawn to your binder image - I love the whimsical colors, great perspective and gorgeous depth of field. I looked forward to seeing your stream, reading your comments and visiting your blog to see the wonderful images you were creating. When I look at the amazing images above, I know that you have chosen the right journey!
    And now I have the thank you Jessica! For all your inspiration, encouragement when I felt lost and the wonderful way you have with words that warm the heart!
    My family and friends have heard me talk of you many times and I know that they'll be hearing more about you in the future. I'm so thrilled to be on this journey with you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kathy, your most welcome, truly without your inspiration I probably wouldn't be here typing this to you. Hopefully we'll continue this journey together and come out the other end with more knowlege than today.

      Delete
  3. This is so beautiful.... so kind... and uplifting... and oh my gosh... thank you.....
    'sigh'.... happy, happy sigh.....

    I LOVE the way you put this post together.... and I'm so grateful I could be a small part of your beautiful journey... What a blessing...

    This is truly beautiful in every way.... thank you...

    love and blessings.... xo, Kim

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank YOU Kim, you are a very generous person and you deserve all the returns of love you receive.

      Delete
  4. It's always a blessing to have special people in our lives who inspire and challenge us. I love your use of light and that must be Kathy's influence as you mentioned above. There is so much softness and tenderness in your pictures that they quite often put me in a dreamy state or help calm an otherwise turbulent heart.

    Glad you were able to start your story... here's to where it will go!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great, great story!! I love the pictures you took to spell out each name to go along with what you were writing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. look what you started....

    http://www.savoirwhy.blogspot.com/2012/02/good-doing-and-other-things.html

    and then this turned into a re-development of the blog setup...

    ReplyDelete